GSSP Call and General Information
Research Programmes & Scientists
Scholarships for international doctoral candidates
Supported by the Graduate School Scholarship Programme (GSSP) of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the Graduate School of Geosciences (GSGS) is happy to offer four promising international doctoral candidates the opportunity to pursue a doctorate as a part of a coordinated research programme, supervised by a Cologne Geoscientist.
Two PhD scholarships are available starting between 1 October - 1 December 2021 (2021 call: applications accepted 22 March – 28 April 2021); another two will start in 2022 (2022 call: applications will be accepted approximately between 1 September - 31 October 2021). All four scholarships are funded by the DAAD for up to 4 years. Please read here for more information about the application process.
The scholarships include:
- a scholarship instalment of currently € 1,200 per month;
- a travel allowance;
- payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover;
- a research allowance of currently € 460 per year (for scholarship holders from emerging countries), or € 230 per year (for scholarship holders from industrialized countries);
- under certain circumstances, grant holders may receive the following additional benefits:
- monthly rent subsidy;
- monthly allowance for accompanying family members (about € 200 child allowance per child and about € 275 marriage allowance);
- preparatory language course (if desired and possible due to the starting date of the scholarship);
- a material resource and supervision allowance of currently € 1,000 per year, which is paid upon application to the host institution.
Regulations regarding planned field work / stays abroad during the scholarship. Stays abroad can be approved within the guidelines of the Graduate School Scholarship Programme. The total duration of field work abroad must not exceed 25% of the duration of the scholarship (i.e. no more than 12 months of field work within a 4-year scholarship). The scholarship cannot start with a stay abroad.
Please also read the DAAD “Guidelines for applicants from abroad”.
The scholarship recipients will be members of the GSGS for the duration of their doctoral studies.