Steering Committee and spokesperson
The GSGS is led by a Steering Committee (Lenkungsausschuss) consisting of (term of office in brackets)
- three advisors (professors) representing one or two of the subjects in which a doctorate can be pursued within the Department of Geosciences (two years):
- one non-professorial academic staff member with a doctorate degree (two years)
- two doctoral candidates; one is an academic staff member (>49% contract, two years) and one has 'student' status (<50% contract, scholarship, etc., one year).
The spokesperson of the GSGS leads the GSGS Steering Committee, which normally meets twice a year. The GSGS coordinator is a consulting member of the Steering Committee, without a vote.
Statutes and elections
Since 12 February, 2021 the statutes (Ordnung) of the GSGS have been in place. According to the statutes, the members of the Steering Committee and a deputy for each member are elected by the General Assembly.
General Assembly (Mitgliederversammlung)
The General Assembly takes place at least once a year (planned in May) and is aimed at informing GSGS members regularly.
The last General Assembly took place on 6 May, 2021, from 16:30 (CEST) via Zoom. The General Assembly elected the members of the Steering Commitee by grouping. The current committee members are listed below.
Doctoral candidate representatives are encouraged to join the GSGS Doctoral Council, a self-governing body. Regular meetings of the GSGS Doctoral Council with the GSGS coordinator ensure direct communication in the assessment of candidates’ needs. More information on member representation.
Current GSGS Steering Committee
- Prof Boris Braun, acting GSGS spokesperson and Advisor representing of the subject Geography (deputy: Prof Tony Reimann)
- Dr Kerstin Ebell, Academic staff representative (deputy: Dr Steven Binnie)
- Prof Roel Neggers, Advisor representing the subjects Geophysics and Meteorology (deputy: Prof Joachim Saur)
- Ms Sarah Rabe, Doctoral candidate representative (deputy: Ms Barbara Blanco)
- Mr Stephan Schlegel, Doctoral candidate representative (deputy: Ms Sarah Luft)
- Prof Bernd Wagner, Advisor representing the subjects Geology & Mineralogy, and Crystallography (deputy: Prof Patrick Grunert)
- Dr Karin Boessenkool, Non-voting member, GSGS coordinator
Past GSGS Steering Commitee members and terms of office
|Name||Representative of the subject(s) / group||start of office||end of office|
|Dr Amelie Bernzen||Academic staff||2014||2015|
|Dr Steven Binnie||Academic staff||2021||ongoing (deputy) until May 2023|
|Barbara Blanco||Doctoral candidates||2021||ongoing (deputy) until May 2022|
|Prof Boris Braun (spokesperson since 2016)||Advisors, Geography||2014||ongoing until May 2023|
|Prof Helmut Brückner||Advisors, Human and Physical Geography||2014||2016|
|Prof Susanne Crewell||Advisors, Geophysics, Meteorology||2014||2019|
|Prof Tibor Dunai (spokesperson 2014-2016)||Advisors, Geology/Paleontology |
|Dr Kerstin Ebell||Academic staff||2014||ongoing until May 2023|
|Prof Patrick Grunert||Advisors, Geology & Mineralogy, Crystallography||2019||ongoing (deputy) until May 2023|
|Sascha Janser||Doctoral candidates||2019||2020|
|Sebastian Kommescher||Doctoral candidates||2018||2019|
|Sarah Luft||Doctoral candidates||2020||ongoing (deputy) until May 2023|
|Prof Tim Mansfeld||Advisors, Human and Physical Geography||2017||2021|
|Prof Martin Melles||Advisors, Geology/Paleontology |
|Katharina Molitor||Doctoral candidates||2016||2019|
|Prof Roel Neggers||Advisors, Geophysics, Meteorology||2019||ongoing until May 2023|
|Sarah Rabe||Doctoral candidates||2021||ongoing until May 2022|
|Stephanie Reilly||Doctoral candidates||2018||2020|
|Prof Joachim Saur||Advisors, Geophysics, Meteorology||2014||ongoing (deputy) until May 2023|
|Stephan Schlegel||Doctoral candidates||2020||ongoing until May 2023|
|Maxwell M. Thiemens||Doctoral candidates||2015||2018|
|Julia van de Löcht||Doctoral candidates||2014||2015|
|Thirza van Laar||Doctoral candidates||2015||2016|
|Prof Bernd Wagner||Advisors, Geology & Mineralogy, Crystallography||2016||ongoing until May 2023|
|Dr Alexandre Wennmacher||Academic staff||2015||2021|
|Sebastian Wieneke||Doctoral candidates||2014||2015|